Thursday 20 September 2007

The Reading On The Toilet Replacement: Daily Lit

Just bumped into DailyLit, a site that Fred Wilson mentioned in a posting on platforms.

What is it? A site that basically gives you snippets of books through email..

According to the site:

"1. Why read books by email?

Because if you are like us, you spend hours each day reading email but don't find the time to read books. DailyLit brings books right into your inbox in convenient small messages that take less than 5 minutes to read."

I still remember complaining to my ridiculously well read older brother that I couldn't get through James Joyce’s Ulysses ...he suggested that I try reading it five minutes at a time on the toilet. I never did get to that (i know too much information) but I'm thinking maybe Daily Lit could be a good reading on the toilet replacement?

2 comments:

Mark Federman said...

This whole DailyLit thing assumes that people read books for the content, and that content can be condensed into snippets that convey the effects of the book.

Nonsense. Books as a medium in a UCaPP world are no longer the medium of content, except in rare, otherwise archival situations. The enable escape, they enable deep thoughts and explorations, they create environments of quiet introspection and reflection, they enable rest and recreation... they do a lot of things (and I haven't even begun to mention the other three tetrad quadrants!).

Actually, I'm looking forward to escaping into a philosophical novel I recently received during my upcoming two plane trips (which is where I do my best book reading). With all the research purposeful reading (and writing) I do, it's a joy to use a book to allow my mind to hide out from time to time.

Leigh said...

I'm not sure they assume that ALL people read books for the content etc. just that some people have the issue that they would like to read more and simply don't have the dedicated space for it in their lives. But I don't want to speak for the site owners.

i was just thinking it might be a good way to read James Joyce!

 
Real Time Web Analytics