Saturday 6 October 2007

If It Quacks Like a Columnist Then Maybe It Is...

I really liked when Tom S. in a recent blog comment referred to Tim O'Reily as a 'host'. And it got me thinking.

Hosted Blogs: Interactive conversations where the person who blogs not only accepts and encourages comments but as well, participates in the discussion.

Columnist Blogs: Journalistic webpage that is formatted like a blog but is a broadcasted opinion.

I find that I am much more discriminating about the columnist blogs i read. If they don't accept comments, and aren't going to even read or respond to them themselves, then I feel they better be damn fine writers - having someone fact and grammar check the work (since they won't have wikinomics working in their favour) - making sure that all their references are on the up and up etc.

After all, if they write like a columnist
and quack like a columnist
then probably they’re a columnist.

And maybe they should be required to live up to the same standards as one as well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeep. Nice thought. What gets me is when someone takes the time to write a great post, leaves comments open, but does not respond to the one or two thoughtful comments that have been left. I can't think of a decent reason not to.

Leigh said...

I just find it funny that many of the biggest most popular blog writers tend to participate while many of the B wanna be A listers either don't allow comments or never respond. Funny that?

 
Real Time Web Analytics